Life in Ice Age Britain, Europe and the wider world Nov 17, 2015 1:14:27 GMT
Post by UKarchaeology on Nov 17, 2015 1:14:27 GMT
I've always been fascinated in the Ice Age's periods that our ancestors (own own species or even more distant ancestors than that) lived in. So I would like to create this thread where information on Ice Age life can be compiled in, for example;
1. Animals: What animals lived in the Ice Age's that we came across? How did (or may we have) interact with them? When did these animals exist (when did they go extinct and which ones exist to this day etc)?
2. Climate & habitat: What was the climate like in Britain or other countries at certain points in time? What did certain Ice Age habitats look like?
3. Culture: What evidence or theories are there for things like Ice Age human culture, religion & society?
4. Food & hunting: What foods did we eat, what did we hunt or gather and how did we go about these things?
5. Clothing & style: What kinds of clothing did people wear, how did they look (etc)?
6. Technologies: What kinds of technologies did certain Ice Age societies or peoples invent (such as particular types of stone tools, pottery, art or evidence of weaving etc)?
7. Genetics: What physical appearance did species of humans (our own or others) have? What were our abilities or weaknesses? How many species of humans were there living during the last Ice Age etc?
We lived such a great part of our evolution/human history in Ice Age environments (and were affected and deeply shaped by them) however these periods in history are so mysterious and fantastical (and unfortunately Ice Age age evidence is thin on the ground in comparison to so many other later periods in our human history). Mesolithic (or later periods) information can of course be added to these threads where relevant. For example the Ice Age didn't end for thousands of years more in some countries (and in some parts of the world the Ice Age environments continue to this day!)and Mesolithic+ life can sometimes shed light on Ice Age life (and vice versa).
Things to take into consideration with this thread;
1. Please share your information! Information doesn't have to be really new (such as referring to old stories finds) as long as it is still in date (i.e. It hasn't been proven false/incorrect by later findings). This thread after all is all about building up a picture of Ice Age life.
2. If you have anything to share that has not been shared already, please feel very welcome to add it! I don't want this thread to just be about me sharing my info etc (I actively encourage you to share your info, pics, thoughts or ideas etc too!).